Taking a Moment This Week to Appreciate Doulas
World Doula Week begins today (March 22), and we’d like to take a moment to express our appreciation for doulas.
Because our Peas in a Pod line has been our star for so long, we have developed relationships within the birth community over the years, and this includes doulas. We have so much respect for the exhausting, important work that doulas do, as well as appreciation for the services they provide to pregnant, labouring, birthing and postpartum women as well as during times of loss.
Did you know that the presence of a doula during labour and delivery, and postpartum, has the following benefits? As stated on the World Doula Week website:
- “Reduces the incidence of c-sections
- May shorten the length of labour
- Reduces epidural and analgesic requests
- Increases breastfeeding initiation and continuation
- Increases mother’s satisfaction of birth experience
- Can reduce the incidence of postpartum mood disorders
- Increases new parents’ confidence in the care of their newborn”
Here in Calgary, our friends at Birthing magazine/Birth Unlimited do an amazing job of representing local doulas (among other birth professionals). They are holding a very cool event this Friday, right in the middle of World Doula Week, called Meet Your Doula. What a cool way to choose someone who really meshes well with you and your family!
Our hats off to doulas this week and all year round!