Our soaper extraordinaire, Christine, has been working on a shampoo bar for some time now, since you all love creating less waste and when it comes to washing hair, shampoo bars are the answer to cutting out packaging! Shampoo bars also tend to be moisturizing and nourishing and can be made with simple, natural ingredients.
Well, the final product is ready and we couldn’t be happier!
Meet the Rosemary + Mint Shampoo Bar!
What’s in here?
Like our other soap bars, this cleansing & moisturizing bar is built on a base of coconut butter, shea butter and avocado oil for a luscious lather that cleanses without stripping the hair’s natural oils.
We have included both rosemary essential oil as well as rosemary-infused olive oil. This is because rosemary is great for your scalp (especially dry and/or itchy scalp) and also promotes hair growth. We have also included invigorating peppermint, which is the perfect scent partner for rosemary and helps to promote hair growth as well.
Aloe vera juice helps to repair damaged hair, while oils of castor and argan promote hair growth and health, and moisturize the hair.
Lastly, kaolin clay is an added cleanser that helps to strengthen the roots and won’t strip the natural moisture from the hair.
Shampoo Bar: How Do I Use You?
Using a shampoo bar takes a bit of getting used to, so if you don’t love it the very first time, don’t despair! Just think how many years you’ve had to perfect your liquid shampooing routine!
Bar shampoos lather a bit differently than liquid, and they can make your hair feel a bit different, especially if you have product build-up in your hair. You can actually cleanse any residue from your hair by using a 1:3 solution of baking soda and water – simply apply to air, work through with fingers, let sit for a couple of minutes and rinse with water. This will set you up with a clean slate for using your new shampoo bar!
Our Shampoo Routine, Step by Step
This is how we use the shampoo bar, with great results in Calgary, where the water is quite hard. Your process might be a bit different – we’d love to hear about it!
- Wet hair normally.
- Mix a pinch to a tablespoon of baking soda with 1-2 cups of warm water, and pour over hair.
- Lather shampoo bar between hands; apply lather to hair. Repeat until you have the desired amount of lather.
- Work lather through hair and rinse normally.
- Add 1-2 cups of warm water to 1-2 tbsp apple cider vinegar (we put this in a jar in advance and bring it into the shower with us – you may wish to have a pre-mixed solution in a plastic bottle). Pour over hair; do not rinse.
- We like to use about 10 drops of argan oil on our hair after lightly towel drying, for extra conditioning and shine.